Training for Social Workers
Training for Social Workers and other Local Authority employees delivered by the Virtual School
The Virtual School would like to invite you to short, snappy training sessions to support social workers with engaging, challenging and holding schools to account for the children on their case load.
In September 2021 the Department for Education issued guidance to Virtual Schools about their new strategic leadership role in promoting the educational outcomes of the cohort of children with a social worker and those who have previously had a social worker who are aged from 0 up to 18.
Greenwich has a significant cohort of children with a social worker and even more who have previously had social care involvement.
These children have often experienced trauma, disruption to their lives and an ongoing chaotic relationship with their education. We want all children with a social worker to be supported by agencies as they start, travel and end their journey in education.
What do we cover?
- ATTENDANCE- the new changes for local authorities and schools
- FLEXI-SCHOOLING AND PART TIME TIMETABLES- legalities and best practice
- EXCLUSIONS/SUSPENSIONS- changing language and responsibilities for schools
- REINTEGRATION MEETINGS AT SCHOOL- how to challenge schools and support families
- ATTAINMENT, PROGRESS, ACHIEVEMENT- academic targets children should be reaching and when
- QUESTIONS TO ASK SCHOOLS TO GET TO FACTS AND FORWARD PLANNING
Who is this training for?
- All social workers with school age children on their case load. This includes Early Years and Post 16.
- Anyone working with vulnerable young people. Agencies such as Youth Justice, SHiFT, FaASS, Safecore etc.
6th Dec 2022 from 12 noon to 1 pm Room B12B
8th Dec 2022 3 pm to 4 pm The Gallery
13th Jan 2023 12 noon to 1 pm B12A /B
16th Jan 2023 12 noon to 1 pm B12B
10th Feb 2023 12 noon to 1 pm The Gallery
Training for Designated Teachers
The Designated Teacher training dates for children in our care are below:
- 14th November 2022 – 9.30am-12pm
- 14th March 2023 – 9.30am-12pm
- 27th June 2023 – 9.30am-12pm
Training for Foster Carers
Monday 20th February 9:30 – 12pm
Monday 8th May 9:30 – 12pm
Location: Room 3.3 at the PDC
Training would cover some of these things – changes to exclusion guidelines, promoting attendance, discussing academic challenges a YP may experience, requesting support for their YP.